MCA Dress Code
McKinney Christian Academy’s dress code is established to teach hygiene, instill discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards and teach respect for authority.
Uniforms are required for Pre-K-Grades 12. Official uniform items from Parker School Uniforms and MCA Spirit Shop must be worn. Students coming to school out of uniform or wearing non-Parker uniform items will be sent to the office. This will be considered a minor infraction for Lower School students. Parents will be contacted and will need to bring the correct or missing item(s) to school. A student will not be permitted re-entry into the classroom until he/she is in proper uniform.
Please be sure all articles such as sweaters, jackets, and sweatshirts are plainly labeled with the student’s name. Only MCA sweatshirts, Parker uniform sweaters and MCA jackets may be worn in the classroom.
Basic Assumptions Concerning Appearance
- A student’s appearance reflects their values. We do not want your child’s appearance to conflict with the values espoused by MCA.
- A student’s appearance affects his/her behavior and that of his/her peers. If a student’s appearance is excessive or draws attention to itself in some way, then it is a distraction to the tasks at hand, which are education and maturity.
- A student’s appearance sets the tone of the environment. That which is visible often reflects and represents that which is not visible.
- Community interests must take precedence over personal preferences. Our dress must reflect the distinctive mission of our school and encourage the personal growth of each student.
General Lower School Dress Code Guidelines
- Shirts are to be tucked in at all times with the waist line visible.
- Students may only wear approved uniform jackets or spirit wear in the classroom.
- Belts must be worn with shorts or pants. All belts must be solid navy, brown or black with a traditional buckle. No decorative markings such as engraved names, rhinestones, oversized buckles, etc. will be permitted.
- Hats may not be worn at any time in the classroom or in any building on campus.
- All clothing should be in good condition and not in need of repair.
- All school uniform items must be Parker Uniform products. The only exception to this is official spirit wear available for purchase from the Spirit Shop.
- All body piercing, except for the earlobe for girls, is prohibited.
- Jewelry and/or accessories should be modest, understated, subtle and tasteful. Dangling earrings are not permitted. Girls may wear one ring on each hand and one set of earrings. Staff members may ask a student to remove jewelry and/or accessories which draw excessive attention, distract the student, and/or prohibit normal student activity.
- Socks must be worn at all times. Socks should be solid white, navy, black or red and should cover the ankle.
- Undershirts worn under uniform shirts must be solid white without any logo or color trim.
- Heels may not exceed 1½” in height.
- All skirts, shorts and jumpers must be fingertip length.
- Girls may wear lip gloss only. No other make-up is permitted.
- Nail polish may be in natural colors only.
- Boy’s hair must be combed and kept neatly above the collar and the eyebrows. Hair length should be such that the earlobe is clearly visible.
- Unnatural hair colors are not permitted.
- Modesty shorts must be worn under all jumpers and skirts.
- Girls may only wear boots on Fridays.
Lower School Dress Options
Casual Uniform Dress
- Any uniform shirt with uniform pants, shorts, skirts, or culottes
- School sweaters or spirit outer wear
- Quality athletic shoes or shoes designed for outdoor play. No heels should exceed 1½ inches and must be closed-toe and closed heel.
Dress Uniform Dress
Girls PreK through 1st Grades
Plaid jumper, white uniform blouse w/blue piping, navy or white socks, and appropriate shoes.
Girls 2nd & 3rd Grades
Plaid Jumper, white uniform blouse w/blue piping OR Plaid Skort, white crested oxford shirt, navy or white socks, and appropriate shoes.
Girls 4th - 6th Grades
Plaid pleated skirt, white crested oxford shirt, navy or white socks and appropriate shoes.
Boys PreK-4 through 6th Grade
Navy long slacks, blue striped oxford shirt, navy socks, and dress shoes
Rules for formal dress events: All Lower School Students will be expected to wear their dress uniform on chapel day, with the exception of dress shoes.
- Sweatshirts are not permitted to be worn to the event.
- Students lacking the appropriate field trip attire will receive a minor infraction and may not be permitted to participate in the field trip.
- Girls may only wear hair accessories which match uniform colors.
- Jewelry must be formal, moderate and tastefully conservative.
- Any exceptions to field trip attire will be specified on the field trip notification form.
Other Special Day Dress Options
Spirit Day Uniform Dress (Fridays)
Spirit shirts or uniform shirts with full-length jeans (in good condition), uniform pants, or uniform shorts may be worn on Fridays.
Jeans Day Dress (TBA)
Long jeans or slacks must have a classic fit and may not have holes, patches, rips, or torn areas. Capri pants and fingertip length shorts may be permitted on a jeans day by the Principal, if special circumstances dictate. Any appropriate shirt with sleeves may be worn on jeans days.
If the Principal determines that extremely warm weather would deem it more appropriate, students will be given permission in advance to wear Capri pants or fingertip length shorts; otherwise, it is not an option.